NCERT Solutions for Class 6th Social Science-History: Chapter 11: New Empires and Kingdoms
Question / Answer 1: State whether true or false:
- Harishena composed a prashasti in praise of Gautamiputra Shri Satakarni. [False]
- The rulers of Aryavarta brought tribute for Samudragupta. [False]
- There were twelve rulers in Dakshinapatha. [True]
- Taxila and Madurai were important centres under the control of the Gupta rulers. [False]
- Aihole was the capital of the Pallavas. [False]
- Local assemblies functioned for several centuries in south India. [True]
Question 2: Mention three authors who wrote about Harshavardhana.
Answer: Banbhatta, Ravikirti, Xuan Zang
Question 3: What changes do you find in the army at this time?
Answer: Some of the kings continued to maintain a well organized army. A new trend also emerged during this period. Some military leaders maintained an army and provided the army to the king when required. Such military leaders did not get salary. But they got grants in the form of land. They also got the right to collect land revenue. The revenue was utilized to maintain the soldiers, horses and battle equipments. Such military leaders were known as samanthas. When a ruler became weak, a Samantha tried to become independent.
Question 4: What were the new administrative arrangements during this period?
Answer: New Administrative Arrangements:
- There was no single ruler who was enough powerful to have total control over the Indian subcontinent. Kings usually made power-sharing agreements with local powerful people.
- Some posts were made hereditary. This meant that the son got a particular post after the death of this father./li>
- There were many instances when a single person held many posts.
- Many important men exercised authority in local administration.
Question 5: What do you think Arvind would have to do if he was acting as Samudragupta?
Answer: Arvind needs to become brave. He also needs to develop a keen interest in music and painting.
Go Back to NCERT Solutions Social Science Page Maths English Science
To start your test
register with us:
your test, registered user must login with their User Name & Password: